General Rules for the 4Vets4Life Veteran Assistance Programs
Last modified: October 18, 2018
The 4Vets4Life Veteran Assistance Programs (the “Programs”) are sponsored by 4-LiPHE, Inc., a Virginia non-stock corporation (“4-LiPHE”). The 4Vets4Life Veteran Assistance Programs are benefit programs in which certain veterans will be selected to receive the Awards listed for each Program. By submitting an application to 4-LiPHE to be considered for any of the 4Vets4Life Veteran Assistance Programs you are agreeing to be bound by the following terms and conditions.
- 4-LiPHE will conduct individual programs (each program a “Program”) to provide assistance to Veterans. Unless otherwise provided in a specific program, each Program will include Dream Awards and a Home Award (collectively, the “Award(s)”). These General Rules for the 4Vets4Life program shall apply to all Programs and Awards. In addition, 4-LiPHE may provide supplemental rules and regulations (“Supplemental Rules”) in respect to any individual Program. Any Supplemental Rules will be announced at the time of the publication of the specific Program. In the event of any conflict between any Supplemental Rules and these General Rules, the Supplemental Rules will control.
- Your submission of an application to any Program constitutes your full and unconditional agreement to these General Rules. All 4-LiPHE decisions are final and binding in all matters related to each Program. Receiving an Award is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
- Your participation is also subject to all federal, state and local laws and regulations. The Programs are void where prohibited or restricted by law. You are responsible for checking applicable laws in your jurisdiction before participating in any Program to make sure that your participation is legal and to ensure that you comply with all relevant laws. You are responsible for obtaining all government-required documents and permissions needed to use an Award.
- 4-LiPHE does not engage in the sale or lease of any products or services. As such the Programs do not involve or require you to lease or purchase any products or services as a condition for your participation in any Program. As such, NO PURCHASE CAN BE MADE OR IS NECESSARY TO WIN.
- Persons eligible to submit initial application: Each Program is open only to persons who meet the following initial qualifications as of the date of application. You must be:
- 18 years of age or older;
- a resident of one of the fifty (50) United States, the District of Columbia, or any U.S. Territory;
- a veteran of the one of the branches of the United States armed forces (Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force or Coast Guard) who has already been discharged, and your discharge was neither dishonorable or other than honorable; and
- has a disability rating granted by the Department of Defense.
- Ineligibility. Any person will be ineligible to submit an initial application or otherwise participate in any Program if any of the following conditions exist:
- You had either a dishonorable or other than honorable discharge;
- You have been convicted of any felony conviction;
- You have been convicted of a misdemeanor involving a crime of moral turpitude;
- You are an officer, director or employee of 4-LiPHE, or of the judges or any of their respective affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising agencies, or any other company or individual involved with the design, production execution or distribution of each Program and their immediate family (spouse, parents and step-parents, sibling and step-siblings, and children and step-children) and household members (people who share the same residence at least three (3) months out of the year) of each such employee.
- Additional Eligibility Requirements. 4-LiPHE reserves the right to establish additional eligibility requirements, and ineligibility conditions, in respect to any Program or stage of selection in any Program.
- Initial Application. To apply for consideration in any of the Programs, go to https://4vets4life.org/apply-now/ and use the application form on the webpage to upload your personal information. For your application, you must enter your First Name, Last Name, and Email Address and complete that biographical information requested on the on-line application (collectively, the personal and biographical information and associated text are your “Initial Application”). Your Initial Application will be kept on file for a period of three years and will be used for any Program that is initiated during the three (3) year period. At the end of three (3) years you have the right to submit a new application to be considered for any Programs that are initiated more than three (3) years thereafter.
- Additional Information. 4-LiPHE has a continuing right to request such additional documents and information for you as it deems necessary in order to evaluate your Initial Application
- Additional Certifications. 4-LiPHE may, at any time while your Initial Application is on file, condition your continued eligibility for any Program upon you signing and submitting a certification that verifies all of your information and, if applicable, updates any information to reflect any changes that have occurred to you since the date of your application or last certification.
- Withdrawal of Application. You have the right to withdraw your Initial Application at any time if you do not want to continue to be considered for any of the 4-LiPHE Programs.
- Disclosure of Your Status. During the time period from when you submit you Initial Application until you are notified as to whether or not you have been selected as a Finalists (see Section 6 below) you are urged to tell friends and family that you have applied for the 4Vets4Life Assistance Program. However, you may not tell anyone that you are a Finalist unless and until notified by 4-LiPHE.
INITIAL REVIEW STAGE
Your Initial Application will be reviewed by the staff of 4-LiPHE to determine if you qualify to be selected to participate in the final stage of the selection process in each Program that is initiated while your application is active (the “Finalist Selection Stage”). All applications are reviewed in order based upon the date and time the application was originally submitted. During this initial review stage you may be requested to provide additional information and documentation to verify the information you have provided and to answer any questions the 4-LiPHE staff may have. You will be contacted by 4-LiPHE if any additional information is necessary to review your application.
You will be notified of 4-LiPHE’s determination as to whether or not you meet the requirements to progress to the Finalist Selection Stage.
FINALIST SELECTION STAGE
If you are selected for consideration in the Finalist Selection Stage, you may be required to provide additional information about yourself including more detailed biographical information, health information and financial information (“Selection Application”). You will also be required to sign such additional documentation as 4-LiPHE may require including, without limitation, supplemental terms and conditions, a non-disclosure or confidentiality agreement, authorizations to release any and all medical and other personal information you have provided, and an authorization to permit 4-LiPHE to conduct background checks on you. All information and documents you provide, and other information compiled by 4-LiPHE during its processing of your Selection Application, will be compiled into a package (the “Finalist Stage Package”) that will be provided to the judges to determine if you are a Finalist for any Program.
If you fail to timely provide any requested information or fail to execute and return all required documents to 4-LiPHE, you will be disqualified and removed from further consideration for any 4-LiPHE Program.
DETERMINATION OF FINALISTS
4-LiPHE will determine the number of finalists (the “Finalists”) for each Program from the applicants who have met 4-LiPHE’s minimum requirements for the applicable 4-LiPHE Program. A panel of judges will review your Finalist Stage Package and determine if you should be included as Finalists for the Public Voting Stage. The panel of judges will, in their sole discretion, individually rank the Finalists from among all of the applicants based upon the judges’ review of the Finalist Stage Packages.
The individuals receiving the highest combined rankings from the judges will be selected as Finalists until the number of Finalists that had been established for the applicable program have been selected. All decisions by the judges are final. You will not have the right to receive or review any information or notes of the judges in respect to their deliberations or rankings. The potential Finalists will be notified by email. Each potential Finalist will be asked to confirm its contact information and sign and return 4-LiPHE’s additional documentation such as certifications and consents in order to be included as a Finalist. If a potential Finalist is disqualified for any reason, the next highest ranked applicant will be selected as a Finalist.
4-LiPHE retains the right to disqualify any Finalist if the Finalist (i) does not respond to 4-LiPHE’s notice within a reasonable time (as established by 4-LiPHE in its absolute discretion), (ii) does not return the required documentation within the deadline established by 4-LiPHE, (iii) is determined to no longer be eligible based upon information contained in the certification (or other information received by 4-LiPHE); or (iv) engages in any activity that is prohibited by this Agreement or which casts a negative light upon 4-LiPHE or the applicant.
PUBLIC VOTING STAGE:
- Once all of the Finalists have been determined, their names and information will be posted on the applicable Program’s Webpage for public voting.
- 4-LiPHE will establish, in its sole discretion, the criteria and the period of time for the public to vote (the “Voting Period”) for each Program.
- Once 4-LiPHE has posted your name as a Finalist on its website you will no longer be required to maintain confidentiality. You will be able to, and are urged to, notify your friends and family that you are a Finalist and that they should go to the 4-LiPHE website to vote for you.
- During the Public Voting Stage, you are encouraged to tell others about your participation as a Finalist and ask them to vote for you. However, any activity that 4-LiPHE deems fraudulent, unfair, or unethical (such as automated voting using bots, scripts, or other software tools), or which violates any Rules of Conduct published by 4-LiPHE, is not permitted and may result in your disqualification.
Each Program will provide details as to the Awards to be provided to the Finalists. Unless otherwise specified in a specific Program the Awards will include:
- Dream Award. Each qualified Finalist will be the beneficiary of a Dream Award. The Dream Award will be the opportunity to receive the benefit of up to value of the Dream Award to be awarded under the Program for use to pursue the Finalist’s Dream. The Dream Award will be paid by 4-LiPHE to any third party (generally, a not for profit, tax exempt, organization) who has provided approved labor, products or services that are used by the Finalist to aid in achieving the Finalist’s Dream. No portion of the Dream Award will be paid directly to the Finalist, and no Finalist will have any claim or right to proceeds of the Dream Award. A Finalist’s Dream will be the goal or purpose that the Finalist represented in its application that he/she would be able to pursue if he/she were the recipient of the Dream Award. The Dream Award must be used within 12 months of the Award date (“Deadline”) unless the Deadline is extended by 4-LiPHE in writing. Any portion of the Dream Award that is not used by the Deadline will be forfeited.
- Home Award. The qualified Finalist who receives the largest number of votes in the Public Voting Stage will be awarded both (i) the Dream Award; and (ii) the Home Award (which includes the Qualified Home Improvement Award). 4-LiPHE will determine, in its sole discretion, whether the Finalist will receive 1) a Home in the Finalist’s Geographical Area plus the Qualified Home Improvement Amount, or 2) an entitlement to receive the benefit of the Home Acquisition Amount. The Purchase Price may not exceed the Purchase Price Cap, and the total Home Award may not exceed the Home Award Cap. The person receiving the highest number of votes during the Voting Period will be the Winning Finalist.
- “Foundation” means any foundation, charity or other private, governmental or quasi-governmental philanthropical organization with whom 4-LiPHE as partnered to provide products and services to you in respect to any Award.
- “Geographical Area” means a location that is within the same state as, and within 25 air miles of, the Finalist’s residence as indicated on their Initial Application. In the event that the Finalist’s current residence is no longer the same as the residence indicated on the Initial Application, 4-LiPHE has the sole discretion to determine which address will be used for determining the Finalist’s Geographical Area.
- “Home” means a single-family residence located on no more than one-acre of land the value of which does not exceed lower of the average Purchase Price Cap or $550,000.
- “Home Acquisition Amount” is an amount equal to the aggregate of the Purchase Price of a Home that is located in the Finalist’s Geographical Area and the Qualified Home Improvement Amount.
- “Home Award Cap” means that the aggregate of the Purchase Price of the Home and the Qualified Home Improvement Amount may not exceed $650,000.
- “Purchase Price” means all normal and customary costs and expenses to acquire a Home including the sales price, attorney’s fees and costs of conveyancing.
- “Purchase Price Cap” is the amount equal to the average purchase price of other homes in the Geographical Area that have closed during the preceding twelve (12) months plus the normal and customary costs of conveyancing in the Geographical Area. This average sales price will be determined by comparing a reasonable set of comparable home sales data for the Geographical Area to be provided by a vendor of 4-LiPHE’s selection. Final determination on the Purchase Price Cap will be at the sole discretion of 4-LiPHE.
- “Qualified Home Improvement Award” means the award of the Qualified Home Improvement Amount to the recipient of the Home Award.
- “Qualified Home Improvement Amount” is the amount, not to exceed $100,000, equal to the costs for the improvements or modifications to the Home Award home that are reasonable and necessary to address the Finalist’s needs arising from his or her disability. The Qualified Home Improvement Amount may only be used to pay for such improvements or modifications to the Home. The determination as to the reasonableness, necessity and cost of all such improvements and/or modifications will be in the sole discretion of 4-LiPHE. All work must be performed by a licensed, insured and bonded contractor licensed to work within the Geographical Area of the Home pursuant to a written contract that is approved by 4-LiPHE or its participating Foundation. The Qualified Home Improvement Amount will only be disbursed by 4-LiPHE to the contractor or to the participating Foundation approved by 4-LiPHE. No portion of the Qualified Home Improvement Amount will be paid directly to the Finalist.
Upon completion of the Public Voting Stage and subject to determination of the Finalists continuing eligibility to receive the Award, all Finalists will be notified of their Award.
METHOD OF NOTIFICATIONS
All notifications will be sent by email. 4-LiPHE will also attempt to contact you at the last telephone number appearing in 4-LiPHE’s records. It is your responsibility to assure that 4-LiPHE has your current email address and phone number. 4-LIPHE is not responsible for notifications are not received by you because the notices have been misdirected, your address or phone number that is no longer correct or has been suspended or terminated, or for any other reason beyond the control of 4-LIPHE.
FINAL ELIGIBILITY DETERMINATION
No Award will be made to a Finalist until 4-LiPHE has determined that the Finalists continues to be eligible to receive the Award, which decision is final and binding in all matters related to the program. Prior to making any Award, 4-LiPHE will require each Finalist to submit certification that confirms, among other things, that the information previously provided by the Finalist is still true and accurate and that no event has occurred which would cause the Finalist to be ineligible under the General Rules or any Supplemental Rules. If the potential recipient does not respond to 4-LIPHE’s notice or does not return the certification within the time period established by 4-LiPHE, the Finalist will be disqualified and the Award forfeited. In such case:
- If the Finalist was to receive the Home Award, the Home Award will be Awarded to the Finalist who received the next highest number of public votes; and
- The amount of the Dream Award that was forfeited will be retained by 4-LiPHE for distribution in another of 4-LiPHE’s Programs.
4-LIPHE will announce the Finalists on each Program Webpage, where the Finalists’ name and biographical information will be displayed.
FORFEITURE OF AWARD
- If any potential winner cannot be contacted within a reasonable time period (as determined by 4-LiPHE in its sole discretion), if the potential winner is determined to be ineligible, if any notification is returned undeliverable, or if the potential winner otherwise fails to fully comply with these General Rules or any Supplemental Rules (if any), the Finalist will be deemed to have forfeited the Award.
- The unused balance of the Dream Award will be deemed cancelled and forfeited upon the death of a Dream Award recipient.
The availability of sufficient monies to pay the Awards is entirely dependent upon charitable donations from third parties. In the event the amount of charitable donations for any specific Program is insufficient (after deduction of all normal and customary expenses relating to the administration of the Program) to pay the Awards in full, all Awards will be reduced on a pro-rata basis. No Finalist has a vested right to receive an Award. All of the Award elements are subject to change and shall be determined by 4-LIPHE in its sole discretion.
LIMITATIONS APPPLICABLE TO ALL AWARDS
- No cash in lieu of Awards. No substitution of Awards is permitted except as authorized by 4-LiPHE. Awards are not assignable or transferable.
- All costs and expenses associated with Award acceptance and use not listed herein as part of the Award including, without limitation, ground transportation (other than that specified above as included in Award), luggage fees, souvenirs, miscellaneous hotel expenses, and gratuities are the Finalist’s sole responsibility.
All federal, state and local income taxes on Award and gratuities are solely the responsibility of the Finalist. Payments to, or on behalf of, each potential Finalist are subject to the express requirement that they submit to 4-LiPHE all documentation requested by 4-LiPHE in compliance with all applicable state, federal and local tax reporting and withholding guidelines. All Awards will be net of taxes 4-LIPHE is required by law to Withhold, if any. Each Finalists is responsible for ensuring that he/she complies with all the applicable tax laws and filing requirements. If a Finalist or Winning Finalist fails to provide such documentation or comply with such laws, the Award may be forfeited.
OWNERSHIP OF ENTRIES
4-LIPHE does not claim any ownership rights in any information that you provide during the selection process. By using https://4vets4life.org/apply-now/ to submit an Application, you agree to be bound by these General Rules and grant 4-LIPHE a non-exclusive, fully paid-up and royalty-free, worldwide license to use, modify, delete from, add to, publicly perform, publicly display, reproduce and translate your Application, and any documents and other information you provide to 4-LiPHE, including without limitation the right to distribute all or part of your Application and information in any media formats through any media channels in perpetuity.
By submitting an Application, you represent and warrant that:
- All information that you provide to 4-LIPHE or 4Vets4Life is true and accurate in all material ways, and does not contain any false or misleading information;
- The information that you provide to 4-LIPHE or 4Vets4Life does not violate or infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, rights of privacy, publicity or other rights of any person or entity;
- The information does not and will not violate any applicable law, statute, ordinance, rule or regulation; and
- That you will notify 4-LiPHE within 7 business days of any change in any of the information that you provide 4-LiPHE.
You further represent and warrant that the rights that you are granting under these General Rules do not conflict in any way with any other agreement to which you are a party, or with any commitments, restrictions, or obligations that you are under to any other person or entity.
OTHER THINGS TO KNOW
Application Conditions and Release
By entering, each Participant agrees to: (a) comply with and be bound by these General Rules, any Supplemental Rules and the decisions of 4-LIPHE and/or each Program judges which are binding and final in all matters relating to this Program; (b) release and hold harmless 4-LIPHE, and its parent, subsidiary, and affiliated companies, the Award suppliers and any other organizations responsible for 4-LiPHE fulfilling, administering, advertising or promoting each Program, and all of their respective past and present officers, directors, employees, agents and representatives (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liability, including but not limited to negligence and damages of any kind to persons and property, including but not limited to invasion of privacy (under appropriation, intrusion, public disclosure of private facts, false light in the public eye or other legal theory), defamation, slander, libel, violation of right of publicity, infringement of trademark, copyright or other intellectual property rights, property damage, or death or personal injury arising out of or relating to a Participant’s application, creation of an application or submission of an application, participation in each Program, acceptance or use or misuse of Award (including any travel or activity related thereto) and/or the broadcast, transmission, performance, exploitation or use of applicant; and (c) indemnify, defend and hold harmless 4-LIPHE and past and present officers, directors, employees, agents and representatives from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liabilities (including reasonable attorney’s fees) arising out of or relating to a Participant’s participation in each Program and/or Participant’s acceptance, use or misuse of the Award.
Except where prohibited, participation in each Program, and/or acceptance of any Award, constitutes your agreement to participate in reasonable publicity related to the Program and grants 4-LIPHE (and its affiliates, subsidiaries, parents, and licensees) an unconditional, perpetual, irrevocable, world-wide and royalty-free right and license to:
- use your name, likeness, image, the name of your town or city and state, Award information and statements by you about the Program for publicity, advertising, marketing and promotional purposes in newspapers, press releases and recorded interviews as well as 4-LiPHE’s online newsletters, web sites, social media sites or other electronic and/or print media, in any media or format now known or hereafter invented, in any and all locations, without any payment to or further approval from you,
- use of statements, comments, or opinions you have made, whether oral or written, referring or relating to 4-LiPHE and its Award Program(s),
- record, use and publish audio and visual recordings of any such statements, comments or opinions you have made, referring or relating to 4-LiPHE and its Award Program(s) as well audio and visual records of any Home or business activity that you have received or developed through the Awards.
- You further agree (a) to participate at any time as part of the Award process and in the future, in interviews and other publicity events with 4-LiPHE, any participating Foundations, and any print or electronic media to allow 4-LiPHE to follow and report publicly upon your continued use of the Awards and the effect of the Awards upon your life, and (b) that the consent and license granted in this “Publicity” section shall apply to all such future interview and other publicity events, all without additional permission or compensation.
- As a condition of receiving an Award, you may be required to sign and return additional affidavits of eligibility, liability releases and publicity releases.
4-LIPHE reserves the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify each Program, or any part of it, at any time and for any reason including, without limitation, if any fraud, technical failures or any other factor beyond 4-LIPHE’s reasonable control impairs the integrity or proper functioning of each Program, as determined by 4-LiPHE in their sole discretion. 4-LIPHE reserves the right in their sole discretion to disqualify any individual, applicant or Finalist it finds to be tampering with the application, evaluation or voting process or the operation of each Program or to be acting in violation of these General Rules, any Supplemental Rules, or engages in any disruptive or inappropriate manner. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of each Program may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, 4-LIPHE reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. 4-LIPHE’s failure to enforce any term of these General Rules, or any Supplemental Rules, shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. 4-LIPHE is not responsible for, nor are they required to count, incomplete, late, misdirected, damaged, unlawful or illicit votes, including those secured through payment, votes achieved through automated means or by registering more than one e-mail account and name, using another Participant’s e-mail account and name, as well as those lost for technical reasons or otherwise.
Limitations of Liability
The Released Parties are not responsible for: (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by applicants, printing errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in each Program, (2) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; (3) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the application process or each Program; (4) technical or human error which may occur in the administration of each Program or receipt or use of any Award. If for any reason any applicant’s Submission is confirmed to have been erroneously deleted, lost, or otherwise destroyed or corrupted, applicant’s sole remedy is another provide another Submission. No more than the stated number of Awards will be Awarded.
Entrant agrees that: (1) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Program, or any Awards Awarded, other than those concerning the administration of each Program or the determination of recipients, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; (2) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Program, or any Awards Awarded, shall be resolved exclusively by the United States District Court or the appropriate Virginia State Court; (3) any and all claims, judgments and Awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Program, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (4) under no circumstances will applicant be permitted to obtain Awards for, and applicant hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these General Rules, or the rights and obligations of the applicant and 4-LIPHE in connection with each Program, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, without giving effect to any choice of law of conflict of law rules (whether of the Commonwealth of Virginia or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the Commonwealth of Virginia.
No Rights Granted to You
You agree that nothing in these Rules grants you a right or license to use the 4-LIPHE or 4Vets4Life name or any 4-LIPHE or 4Vets4Life trademark or service mark.